JOB TITLE AND ORGANISATION
Head of Philanthropy, The Royal British Legion
£55,000 to £58,000 gross per annum plus £4,452 London Weighting Allowance
Sunday, 5 December 2021
Our Philanthropy team was set up three years ago to enable the charity to secure significant support from Major Donors, Trusts and Foundations, and the development and implementation of our first Philanthropy strategy has delivered outstanding results to date.
We will shortly embark on a new fundraising strategy, that will look to enhance on our recent developments in philanthropy to build a 10-year view and approach to this essential area of growth for the charity. Our new Head of Philanthropy will be responsible for developing and implementing a new ambitious Philanthropy strategy in line with the organisational and fundraising objectives and priorities.
With experience of securing significant philanthropic donations from Major Donors and Trusts, you will be responsible for developing and managing long-term relationships with current and new donors, and for creating and implementing a stewardship programme. You will be responsible for building a long-term development pipeline, using our iconic poppy appeal, which is part of the fabric of UK society, to engage major donors and trusts.
With a tailored and creative approach, the Head of Philanthropy will lead and motivate an experienced team of three – Major Gifts Manager, Trusts Manager, and Prospect Researcher, and have the proven ability to build strong personal networks, and to engage and influence senior stakeholders both internally and externally.
As the leading military charity in the UK, and having celebrated our centenary in 2021, you will play
a key role in ensuring that our case for support continues to engage supporters so that we can be here for the Armed Forces community whenever they need us.
Please note this role is based at our London office, which is located at Haig House, 199 Borough High Street, London SE1 1AA. Currently, we are still largely working from home. Each team is responsible for setting up a working pattern that suits their requirements, in line with the Head and Assistant Directors needs, with a hybrid mixture of home and office working.
As an inclusive employer, we welcome conversations on flexible working and any reasonable adjustments that may be required.
You are more than your job title.
Claim your space in WIAN's global community of women across professions, all levels of experience, and across the world's borders. Whatever stage of career you're in, you can find a home with WIAN.
Role and Responsibilities
Strategy and Leadership
• Lead on delivering an ambitious five-year Philanthropy fundraising strategy, growing income from the Trusts and Foundations and Major Donor income streams, and contributing to the High Value Giving team’s annual budget.
• Effectively lead, inspire, manage and develop the Philanthropy team, ensuring each team member is enabled to make an effective contribution.
• Effectively manage and coordinate strategic philanthropic relationships between major Trusts and Foundations and Major Donors, and the Director General, Trustees, Directors, and senior volunteers in order to generate significant longer-term results.
• Continually drive efficiency, quality and innovation through the development and use of best practice planning, process and tools.
• Deliver the Philanthropy income and expenditure targets defined in the Fundraising Financial Framework
• Manage the formal budgeting and planning process for the Philanthropy team to ensure sound investment of resources, accurate planning and reporting, and positive return on investment.
• Develop effective and exciting restricted funding propositions.
• Identify and build relationships with major individualsupporters with a focus on securing six and seven figure donations, and ensuring our pipeline of supporters is healthy.
• Create and deliver a cultivation and stewardship plan to provide excellent donor management for Trusts and Foundations, and Major Donors.
• Secure and attend meetings with prospects and introduce them to the work of RBL.
• Inspire and persuade people of influence and significant wealth, as well as major Trusts and Foundations, to invest in the work of the Royal British Legion and secure six and seven-figure gifts, ensuring their long-term commitment to RBL.
• Lead on the development of solicitation and stewardship plans for portfolio of donors and prospects.
• Develop innovative donor stewardship tools, ensuring donors are thanked and recognised, whilst striving to exceed their expectations.
• Secure and attend meetings and project visits with funders, ensuring sustained and long-term financial support.
• Maximise unique engagement opportunities, including Remembrance events and Commemorative anniversaries.
Relationship Management Internal
• Engage and influence National Officers, Directors, Assistant Directors, peers and other key internal stakeholders including across Fundraising, Remembrance & Marketing, Operations, and Finance to support strategic initiatives, build new opportunities and deliver donor-led outcomes.
• Build productive and effective relationships with volunteers, committee members and Trustees, working with them to raise funds for RBL.
• Oversee the Philanthropy team’s work in writing tailored funding proposals to individuals, grant-making Trusts, and Statutory and Lottery sources for both unrestricted funds and project income, with impact reports created as required.
• Actively contribute as a member of the High Value heads team, and work collaboratively with all Fundraising teams, agreeing ways of working and movement of donors between Individual Giving, Mid Value, Philanthropy and Legacies, and to identify and develop creative fundraising opportunities.
• Work closely with organisations within the RBL group (i.e., the NMA and Poppyscotland) to maximise funding opportunities. .
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
Substantial, demonstrable experience of working with high-networth individuals, either in the charity or corporate sector
Substantial, demonstrable experience of working with high value charitable Trusts and Foundations
A proven track record of soliciting six and seven figure gifts from high-net-worth individuals, and charitable Trusts and Foundations
Substantial experience of strategic and resource planning
Demonstrable experience of writing proposals or business plans
Experience of analysing results and using insight to inform decision making and plans
Substantial experience of budget management
Experience of monitoring effectiveness of activity through KPIs and other measurement tools
Substantial and demonstrable experience of managing and developing a team, motivating, tailoring development plans and building individual skills and confidence
Experience of impact report writing
Experience of organising cultivation and stewardship events
Knowledge and awareness of Health and Safety and Risk Assessment regulations
A thorough understanding of the principles of the Data Protection Act, GDPR, ICO guidelines, and relevant legislation and guidelines, and how it impacts on prospect researcher and donor development
Experience of working within charitable sector
How to Apply
Click 'Apply Now' to visit the original announcement, full job description, website and application details. Ensure you follow the specified instructions, keeping note of the deadline and role requirements.
Alternatively, tap the second button to learn more about this organisation. Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position via WIAN.