JOB TITLE AND ORGANISATION
Environmental Affairs Officer, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE)
Wednesday, 22 December 2021
Org. Setting and Reporting
The post is located in the Transboundary Cooperation section of the Environment Division (ENV) of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), based in Geneva, Switzerland. The incumbent reports to the P4 Environmental Affairs Officer.
The broad aim of UNECE's environment activities is to safeguard the environment and human health, and to promote sustainable development in line with the 2030 Agenda. The Water Convention aims to ensure the sustainable use of transboundary water resources by facilitating cooperation.
You are more than your job title.
Claim your space in WIAN's global community of women across professions, all levels of experience, and across the world's borders. Whatever stage of career you're in, you can find a home with WIAN.
Role and Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Chief, Transboundary Cooperation Section, and the direct supervision of the manager of the water unit and Secretary to the Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes (Water Convention), the incumbent provides support to servicing intergovernmental bodies and the implementation of the programmes of work of the Water Convention and the Protocol on Water and Health with an emphasis on activities related to facilitating funding and financing of transboundary water cooperation and basin development. In particular, the incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
1. Support the implementation of the Water Convention’s programme of work in the area of facilitating funding and financing of transboundary water cooperation and basin development by:
• Developing proposals for activities on funding and financing of transboundary water cooperation, including studies, training courses, global and regional workshops, and pilot projects, with a view to facilitate knowledge sharing and peer learning and support Member States and joint bodies in securing financial resources for transboundary water cooperation;
• Developing detailed activity plans and budgets for their implementation;
• Liaising and coordinating with beneficiary countries, donors and partner organizations, in particular international financial institutions (IFIs), in the development and implementation of the activities;
• Identifying opportunities for partnerships and cooperation, as appropriate;
• Servicing relevant meetings, preparing and reviewing reports, documentation and project deliverables;
• Preparing and delivering substantive and strategic presentations;
• Monitoring the implementation of the activities and ensuring their follow-up;
• Undertaking other activities to ensure the achievement of strategic objectives of the programme area on funding and financing of transboundary water cooperation, including increased awareness on the importance of financial sustainability of transboundary water management institutions and mobilization of financial resources for water cooperation in transboundary basins.
2. Support the servicing of intergovernmental bodies under the Water Convention and its Protocol on Water and Health by:
• Assisting in preparing for, servicing and following up to the sessions of the Meeting of the Parties to the Convention, Meeting of the Parties to the Protocol and their subsidiary bodies by providing input to official documents and drafting informal documents and discussion papers;
• Providing other support as necessary, including arranging consultancy contracts, grant agreements and other needed services, identifying and developing partnerships with donors, drafting project proposals, developing budgets and following up on their implementation.
• Organizing and supervising implementation of activities by consultants and institutional contractors, ensuring that deadlines and objectives are met and finances used appropriately;
• Managing relevant trust funds, preparing periodical financial and substantive reports and providing any other information requested by donors;
• Planning and organizing capacity-building activities in support of implementation of the Convention and Protocol and participating in relevant events organized by governments and partner organizations;
• Providing input to global processes on water and sustainable development;
• Providing support to various activities to promote transboundary water cooperation and access to water and sanitation for all at global, regional and sub-regional levels.
3. Support the work in the area of communication and awareness raising by:
• Preparing publications and other awareness raising materials on the Water Convention and its Protocol on Water and Health;
• Providing input to other communication material under the Convention (newsletter, website, social media);
• Presenting on the Convention and transboundary water cooperation at relevant regional and international forums;
• Maintaining contacts with national focal points and other relevant contacts, drafting correspondence and providing information to delegations as required.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in environmental management, environmental policy, sustainable development, international law, international relations, economics or related discipline is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the area of environmental affairs or water management at international level is required.
Experience in servicing intergovernmental meetings is required.
Experience in facilitating financing of access to water, water management or transboundary water cooperation, preferably in cooperation with international financial institutions (IFIs), is desirable.
Experience in supporting transboundary water cooperation processes is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat; and Russian is a working language of ECE. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required; and fluency in French is desirable.
How to Apply
Click 'Apply Now' to visit the original announcement, full job description, website and application details. Ensure you follow the specified instructions, keeping note of the deadline and role requirements.
Alternatively, tap the second button to learn more about this organisation. Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position via WIAN.