Job Title: Senior Communications Officer
Organisation: International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Location: Washington, DC, United States
Closing Date: 16/05/2021
Salary: Not Stated
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Working Pattern: Not Stated
Sponsors international candidates? Yes
IFC’s Partnerships, Communications and Outreach Vice Presidency manages multilateral engagement and communications – both internal and external – across IFC. The Vice Presidency is responsible for content creation, branding, reputational risk management, relationships with shareholders in Western Europe and Japan, fundraising, and multilateral engagement. The Global Engagement and Outreach Team is responsible for supporting industry and thematic departments via strategic communications, outreach and multilateral engagement around international platforms and initiatives, including the United Nations, G20/G7 and Multilateral Development Banks.
Role and Responsibilities
As an experienced Communications professional, the Senior Communications Officer leads the planning, development, and implementation of effective communications and outreach strategies for climate, directly interacting with the Climate Business Department and working in partnership with the communications leads for Infrastructure, Manufacturing, Agribusiness & Services (MAS), Financial Institutions Group (FIG), and Funds, Public-Private Partnerships and Tech in order to communicate climate-related narratives relevant to those areas. Supports corporate, internal, and operational activities via the following specific work areas:
• Products: Conceptualizes and supervises the preparation, production and dissemination of communication products (e.g., media packets, news releases, brochures, Q&As, presentations, briefing notes, online and social media content, speeches, etc.) and thought leadership. Writes, oversees, and/or supports preparation of high-profile speeches, talking points, op-eds, and presentations, as well as client-facing collateral and internal staff engagement content. For climate, this includes regular, high-profile World Bank Group products, for which close coordination with the World Bank will be needed.
• Teamwork and networks: Initiate effective professional relationships with key external and/or internal constituencies (e.g., the media, civil society, academia, businesses, government agencies, World Bank Group colleagues, thought leadership team, etc.). Builds and maintains close team relationships with World Bank communications colleagues. Works in partnership with other industry leads on relevant climate thematic issues.
• Events: Oversees planning, coordination, and logistics, often across multiple teams, for press briefings, IFC-organized industry conferences and seminars, executive missions and speeches, public or broadcast appearances, and other communications-related activities involving external and/or internal audiences. For climate, this includes several high-profile events including COP and other international summits, as well as regular CSO engagements.
• Risk management: Supports risk identification and mitigation activities in the context of corporate and operational communication interventions; advises specific internal and external stakeholders. Focus includes current events, public opinion, social or political issues, and other external or internal developments related to IFC’s thematic work.
• Team oversight: Leads and directs a cross-cutting thematic communications team charged with developing and monitoring high visibility communications plans and activities. For specific deliverables, responsible for assigning work, monitoring work quality, reviewing output and ensuring that staff in the unit is effectively trained to successfully deliver the work.
• Resource management: Manages specific human and financial resources for team/unit and specific tasks/projects. Helps plan and supervise procurement tasks and/or issues as needed.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
• Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Political Science, International Relations, Public Affairs, Marketing, Business/Finance with 8 or more years’ experience in corporate communications, international relations, public affairs, political science, or other related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience. In addition, a degree in Business Administration and/or working experience in Investment Operations will be valued.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and manage relationships with senior industry colleagues and content experts and contribute to strategy development.
• Proven ability to capture trends, case studies and innovations in communications products in a compelling, easy-to-understand manner.
• Proven ability to think strategically and rapidly analyze diverse information from varied sources and an ability to learn, adapt, and to be innovative as new communications challenges arise.
• Self-motivated, creative, excellent organizational skills, proven ability to perform multiple tasks.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with a willingness to work in a team environment.
• Excellent English writing and editing skills.
• Understanding of multilateral development institutions, including the World Bank Group, its policies and operations; understanding of current development topics and issues.
• WBG Core Competencies for all staff: Client orientation; Drive for results; Teamwork of collaboration and inclusion; Knowledge, Learning and communication; and Business judgment and analytical decision-making.
Full job details and application portal on site.
More about International Finance Corporation here. Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position via WIAN.